One very important thing to do when preparing for baby is to choose a doctor for them. The earlier the better!
Because of some of our natural ways, we opted to go with a family doctor instead of a pediatrician. We don’t see eye to eye on everything, but on the important stuff we do and he is respectful of our wishes that he doesn’t agree with.
Here’s our list of ‘interview’ questions. I hope you find it helpful.
Please do your research on each of these question yourself, deciding where you stand (and why). Decide what things are important in the person caring for your child, and which one(s) are ‘deal breakers’ before you go to interview your little one’s potential doctor. Think of how you will handle having to constantly defend your parenting choices.
- Where did you go to school?
- Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
- Do you have any specialties?
- Do you have hospital privileges?
- Is there another doctor in the practice?
- Who covers your patients when you vacation?
- What are your office hours?
- What would I do after hours?
- How long does it usually take to get an appointment?
- Are there separate sick/well visit waiting rooms?
- Do you do your lab work in house? Where would we go to have labs done?
- How often do you prescribe antibiotics?
- Do you have any kids?
- You may want to ask about their faith/beliefs.
- How do you feel about breastfeeding in general?
- How long do you recommend breastfeeding for?
- How do you feel about exclusively breastfeeding for 9-12 months?
- How do you feel about delaying solids until 9-12 months?
- How do you feel about extended breastfeeding (past age 2)?
- How do you feel about breastfeeding on demand?
- How do you feel about tandem nursing?
- If we had to supplement, how do you feel about homemade goat’s milk formula?
- What do you recommend starting baby on as far as foods go? (Grains are essentially packing peanuts, filling, but no nutritional value for baby)
- What do you think of starting baby on avocado and egg yoke with breastmilk?
- What are your thoughts on vaccines in general?
- What are your thoughts on selective/alternative vaccine schedules?
- Do you see patients who choose to not vaccinate or do selective/alternative schedules?
- How do you feel about co-sleeping/bed sharing?
- How do you feel about home-birth?
- Do you see patients who have home-births?
- How do you feel about using natural remedies/homeopathic treatments before prescribing a drug?
- How do you feel about homeschooling?
- How do you feel about circumcision?
- How do you recommend caring for intact sons?
- How do you feel about crying it out?
- How do you feel about attachment parenting?
- How do you feel about chiropractic care in general? For kids?
- How do you feel about amber teething necklaces?
- How do you feel about fluoride?
- How do you feel about using essential oils?
- How do you feel about cloth diapering?
- How do you feel about homemade cleaning supplies/laundry soap?
Did I miss anything? What are some other things you asked about?
I have linked this post up at:
Christian Blogger Community