Broccoli salad is a big hit around here. It is a great way to get the children to eat veggies. With the cheddar and bacon there is a bit of protein in there as well. This recipe has evolved a bit over time, but I think we finally have it down.
Loaded Broccoli Salad
- 3 pounds of broccoli florets, trimmed into bite-sized pieces*
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 24 ounces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4-1 cup of raisins (I like golden raisins) or dried cranberries
- 10-12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup flax seed
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, hauled
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 tablespoons organic sugar (I use turbinado sugar)
Mix mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sugar together until sugar is dissolved. Mix with remaining ingredients in a large bowl. I usually make this up the night before and it is great when it sets overnight.
*I usually trim the stem bits in as well, just in small bits.